Sveta Nedelja Sveta Nedelja Sveta Nedelja Lakes

Sacral and cultural heritage


Parish Church of the Holy Trinity, Sveta Nedelja

Parish Church of the Holy Trinity. Historical records show that a Gothic church was built here at about the same time when a parish was established. The legend tells that the church was built after a flood that was so disastrous that the Sava actually reached Sveta Nedjelja. When the flood waters retreated to a lake, a sculpture of the Holy Trinity was discovered at the foot of a hill. The villagers took this to be a sign from God, and they built a church at the very spot and put the sculpture in the church.

The parish church was badly damaged during the Ottoman inroads, and was gradually restored by parish priests and the congregation.

The most famous priest in the parish was Father Mihalj Šilobold Bolšić, originally from this area, the parish priest since 1760 and the author of the first arithmetic textbook in Croatia and other writings. He renovated the church, adding a new sanctuary, a sacristy, a gallery for singers, and a bell-tower that has remained unaltered until today.

Renovated in the Baroque style, the parish church in Sveta Nedjelja is listed as a grade two monument. Father Dragutin Bubnjar has been the parish priest for many years.

From 1608 to 1783, a small chapel of St Peter stood next to the parish church with the mausoleum of the Erdödy family. Remains of an earlier sacral building and of a cemetery were also found at the location. Also notable is the chapel of St Rocco from 1748, a Baroque church of fine proportions, with an extraordinary large altar reaching to the top of the sacristy wall. The altar dates from 1887. Parts of the altar, including a large sculpture of St Rocco, were restored a few years ago. The bell mounted directly above the front wall dates from 1927, the rail from 1934.

The chapel of St Andrew in Novaki is also interesting. This is a single-nave church built in the 19th century, with a simple façade. It was finally restored in 1935 from a very bad state of repair.

St Nicola’s chapel in Strmac has an interesting altar and a sculpture of the saint made by a self-taught local artist, Jakov Gabrek from Strmac.


Chapel of St Mary Magdalene, Sveta Nedelja

People in Mala Gorica are very proud of their chapel of St Mary Magdalene, perched on a hilltop and overlooking the town. The single-nave Baroque chapel was built in the eighteenth century, with especially fine interior décor. The main altar had been brought here from the old parish church in Sveta Nedjelja. The central piece on the altar is a painting of St Mary Magdalene, the patron saint of the church. The views from the top of the hill and the church are superb: you can see Zagreb with Mt Medvednica in the background, and parts of the Samobor Mountains range.

The Presbytery (1889) and the older Church House (late 18th century), where the first school in Sveta Nedjelja used to be, are also worth mentioning. Other select sights include the old Sveta Nedjelja cemetery, the kurija of the Türok family in Rakitje (19th century), which was used as a school building but is again a family home today, another fine kurija in Brezje, set in the parks surrounding the Immunology Institute, and the splendid castle of the Erdödy family in Kerestinec, a grade two listed monument. The building of the castle began in 1576, and the square building with cylindrical corner towers was brought to its present state in early 20th century. The castle has been used by the military for many years and is still not open for visits today.

Jagnjić Dol is renowned for an archaeological site at the location known as Herešinec. The most important archaeological finding at the site was a monument to Pontius (dating from 3rd century), discovered at the end of the last century. A copy of the sculpture was mounted in the central square in Kerestinec in late 1990.

A number of objects (earthenware, bronze fibulas and Roman coins) were found on the locality in the nineteen-fifties, during the excavations and laying of foundations for a new residential area in Jagnjić Dol. The objects are now on display in Samobor Museum.

Another archaeological site to visit is in Svetonedjeljski Breg (Lacković Brijeg), where a great number of fish, shellfish and plants fossils were found in blocks of slate and limestone.

Više informacija

TZG Sveta Nedelja
Trg A. Starčevića 5
10431 Sveta Nedelja,
Tel./Fax +385 1 3373 919,

Skip to content