Most valuable Sacral Entities
For centuries, people have been making pilgrimages to holy places, drenched in a mysterious light, seeking peace and forgiveness within. The proud and defiant bell towers rise high into the sky in both good times and bad times. In difficult periods of history, the church has always been a safe place of salvation. The towers hide within them the bells that call for joy and grief, announce war and peace, life and death. Many were destroyed and torched in the desire to remove every trace of their existence, but they always sprung up again, more beautiful and more proud. From the decorations of these holy places are the saints, looking down upon us with their peaceful expressions, offering us hope. The altars are illustrated with the images of saints, and reflect the people who shaped them.
For all those who love sacral architecture and sacral values, we wish to put forth the spiritual invitation that they visit the holy places situated throughout Zagreb County and to remember in their times of trouble that every day prayers are said for all those facing difficulty and hardship.
Of special significance in Zagreb County is the Memorial Room of the Blessed Alojzije Stepinac in Krašić, the Cistercian and Franciscan Monasteries with their libraries, and the shrines dedicated to the Virgin Mary. On the eve of Virgin Mary’s Assumption, many pilgrims set out to visit the shrines of the Virgin Mary all over the County. Among the most visited are the church fairs in the following churches and chapels:
- the Church of the Dol Mother of God in the town of Dol (Krašić municipality),
- the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Kloštar Ivanić,
- the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Kupinec (Klinča Sela municipality),
- the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Pokupsko,
- the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Savski Nart (Rugvica municipality),
- the Chapel of the Virgin Mary of Volavje (Jastrebarsko),
- the Church of Virgin Mary’s Visitation to Elisabeth in Vukovina (Velika Gorica).
Sacral structures – an oasis of spiritual prayer, singing and assistance!