Monasteries and Convents
Cistercian Monastery and Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Jastrebarsko
The original monastery in Jastrebarsko was Dominican in the 16th ct., but by 1575, the last Dominican had left Jastrebarsko. In 1602, the Franciscans take over the Dominican Monastery. In 1704, the construction of the monastery begins. The entire structure was built in the form of early Baroque architecture, building the old Dominican structure into the new church and monastery, and the original Gothic structures are seen built into the walls of the church. The façade is simply constructed, with a rectangular layout and internal courtyard and arcade hallway open to the courtyard, built in the shape and constructive form of the early Baroque architecture.
Tome Bakača 53, 10450 Jastrebarsko
Tel. ++ 385 1 6282 110
Mass served: Working days at 7.30, Sundays: 7.30, 9.30, 19 h
The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Was originally a Gothic structure, of which remained the Gothic opening on the northern wall of the church, and its rectangular shape. The Baroque reconstruction, which began in the 18th ct., extended the rectangular nave, and added the choir section to the western section. Along the southern wall, the Chapel of Škapularska Mother of God was built. A series of exceptionally valuable details of stonework suggest wealthy donors to the church and monastery, as do the clearly expressed influence of masters from Slovenia, where the Franciscan province was centered.
The church was completed in 1747. Of the 18th ct. Baroque inventory of note is the main Baroque altar from 1733, carved from marble by the Italian master Giovanni Rossa, the side altars of St. Francis, St. Anthony, the Škapularska Mother of God and the pulpit from the 18th ct., and St. Valentine and the Flogged Christ from the early 20th ct. The entire complex is one of the most valuable in northwestern Croatia and had much influence for the later construction of the sacral structures in the Jastrebarsko region. In the 1980s, the Cistercian Monks took over the supervision of the monastery. Church order was established in the year of 1098 in a French abbey of Citeaux (lat. Cistercium), the order is present in Croatia since the year 1205.
The Monastery Library even today houses a collection of valuable books and old maps, while the incunabula, the first printed books before 1500, are of particular value.
Parish Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Kloštar Ivanić
In the settlement
The church was mentioned in the 13th ct. when it existed as a church within the convent destroyed during the Tartar attacks, while the parish is first mentioned in 1334. The church was modified to the Baroque style in 1759 with a completely preserved inventory, which was also restored as part of the complete church restoration. Among the inventory which particularly stands out is the example of the “Divine grave” from 1692, conceived in the form of a Baroque stage. The Baroque inventory appeared in the second half of the 18th ct. and consists of 8 altars: the main altar of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Franjo Antun Straub), and the side alters of St. George, St. Joseph, the Epiphany, St. Barbara (Baroque master of the mid 18th cent.), St. Anthony of the Desert, the Grieving Virgin and the Holy Cross.
The church also has a valuable pulpit and movable throne of the Mother of God with a valuable baldachin, a christening font with a sculpture of St. John, a valuable organ created by the local master Pavao Pump from 1834 and the exceptionally valuable sculpture of the Mother of God, in the Pietà motif, the date of its creation cannot be determined, and it consists of many mysterious elements.
Svete Marije 4, 10312 Kloštar Ivanić
Tel. ++ 385 1 2831 400, 2831 411
Slavko Bulaja, žpk
Holly mass: every day at 18 h
Franciscan Monastery and Church of St. John the Baptist, Kloštar Ivanić
The church is a late Gothic (stone) structure built in 1508 and it belongs to the largest of the Gothic churches in northern Croatia. The single nave church hall, with its extended sanctuary ends in a polygonal apse, with ornaments of fauna. The massive bell tower rises at the southern end of the sanctuary and is the junction between the church and the monastery. The tower is constructed of brick, while all the remaining structures and decorative elements are stone. The entire church had a cross-ribbed vault ending in a star in the apse. The façade is simple, and above the semicircular profiled portal (Renaissance) is the crest of Bishop Luka Barentin, builder of the church. The bell tower dates back to the 16th ct., but its characteristics disappeared with the Baroque adaptations in the 17th and 18th ct. During the period of the Turkish attacks, the church was torched. Restoration on the torched church began in 1677, when the vault was rebuilt, however in the Baroque variation, the vault was barrel shaped with side vaults. The façade is richly ornamented. In 1745, the crypt is built under the sanctuary, and the old altars are replaced, with the exception of the main altar from 1703 and the altar of the Holy Cross under the choir. The new altars are: the Mother of God of the Holy Rosary, 14 Assistants, St. Francis and St. Anthony. In World War II, the church was shelled and for a long period thereafter neglected. In the late 1980s began the restoration and preservation of the church, and it still continues. The inventory is from the 17th and 18th ct., among which are the main altar, and the four side-altars from the 18th ct., created by the Zagreb sculptor Josip Weinacht. Virtually all the paintings and sculptures were preserved and are stored in the picture gallery, and the vaults of the new Franciscan Monastery and the Parish Church in Kloštar Ivanić, which was opened in 1994. The part of the inventory which yet remains to be restored is kept in the monastery storage.
The construction of the old Franciscan Monastery began in the early 16th ct., and was completed in 1748. The construction passed through several phases, all of which left their trace on the monastery. The old Bishop’s Residence, which previously had stood on the location of the monastery was included into the monastery structure.
Fearing the Turks, the Franciscans left the monastery in 1544 and returned again in 1639. Through that time, the monastery served as a base for the Vojna Krajina military district. In 1997, the Franciscans moved to the new monastery built alongside the Parish Church of St. Mary, and handed the old monastery over to the Carmelite Nuns, who there founded the Carmelite Order of Little St. Teresa.
Trg Svetog Ivana 10, 10312 Kloštar Ivanić.
Tel. ++ 385 1 2892 769
Library of the Franciscan Monastery, Kloštar Ivanić
The beginnings of the very valuable library reach back to the time when the Franciscans again returned to Kloštar Ivanić in 1639. The library is a true expression of the activities of Franciscans in this region, since these activities are well documented. Today, the library is fully categorized. In 1999 a symposium was held on the library and the papers of this symposium were published under the title: “The Library of the Franciscan Monastery at Kloštar Ivanić”.
The library today carries some 5000 titles. Among them are three incunabula (originals!), one of which is a very valuable copy in German.
Originals – incunabula:
- Jacobus De Voragine: Legenda aurea sanctorum
- Lanzkranna, Stephan: Himmelstrasse
- Pelbartus De Themeswar: Sermones Pomerii de tempore et de sanctis
The library also possesses about 150 volumes in the Croatian language and several hundred volumes in foreign languages. The library is particularly proud of its literature covering pharmaceutics and medicine, as the Franciscans ran the only pharmacy in this region from 1728 to 1931, which makes it one of the oldest in Croatia. Today the Kloštar Ivanić Pharmacy is a continuation of that very same pharmacy.
Considering that the Franciscan library in Kloštar Ivanić possesses a fund of 42 books of literature in the Kajkavian dialect, it could rightfully be called a Rara kajkaviana, as it contains rare Kajkavian works, both in terms of content and purpose.
In terms of content and purpose of the Kajkavian works held in this Franciscan library, they can be divided into the following categories:
- Gospels (lectures), such as the Evangeliurni printed in Zagreb in 1730, 1778, 1819 and 1842.
- Interpretation of the Gospels (sermons), precious to the priest orator in the Kajkavian region. In these sermons, in the history of the Croatian pastoral activities, appears a new approach to sermons, as represented in Germany in the 18th and early 19th ct. by Johann Michael Sailer (1751-1832). In his sermons, he promoted practical lessons based on the biblical texts. Two priests translated this approach to the interpretation of the Gospels from German into the Croatian-Kajkavian language: Josip Ernest Matijević (1742-1808) and Josip Horvat (1772-1858).
- Catechisms. The library possesses two catechisms by the famed Jesuit priest Jurja Muliha (1694-1754). According to Ivan Fuček, the best scholar and researcher of the life and works of Jurja Muliha, this work is the Great Catechism. The entire work has 1745 pages and is also the largest of Muliha’s works, and our largest catechism from the Baroque period.
- Lives of saints (orations). The Franciscan Library at Kloštar Ivanić also possesses two of the largest hagiographic works, in terms of volume, the largest in Kajkavian literature in the 18th ct., the work of Capuchin Štefan Zagrebac (1669-1742) in five works, totaling over three thousand pages, with title pages written in two languages: Latin and Croatian. This complete work by Zagrebac gives a precious insight into the Baroque orations.
- Piety. In the context of theological and religious thought in the Croatian-Kajkavian literature, handbooks intended for various forms of piety in the Zagreb Dioceses have their special place, particularly among the religious brethren. Three such books are embraced by the Franciscan Library at Kloštar Ivanić.
- History. Included among the historical books is the Kronik aliti spomenvsega sveta vekov vu dva dela razređen… This is actually the second edition of Vitezović’s Kronika from 1696, which was prepared in Kajkavian by the Zagreb Canon Stjepan Rafaj, adding his section of the chronological events stemming from 1690 to 1744.
- School textbooks. In 1998, Father Vatroslav Frkin brought two fragments of parchments written in the glagoljica (Glagolitic script) to the Staroslavenski (Old Slavic) Institute. The fragments were removed from the binding of a book which was kept in the library under the signature A – II – 58. This is a historical work by Christian Adolph Thulden, Historiae nostri temporis: Pars altera, which was printed in Cologne in 1657.
Trg Svetog Ivana 10, 10312 Kloštar Ivanić.
Tel. ++ 385 1 2892 769
Franciscan Monastery and Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Samobor
Erected at the location of the old church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy at Polje. The construction of this church was ordered by King Bela IV back in the 13th ct. New archaeological findings have proven that the church which stands today includes at least a portion of the medieval structure. Today’s Baroque monastery was completed in 1721 and the church in 1733, and it is surrounded by spacious grounds, three large plots with gardens, fruit trees and lawns. The monastery is a one-floor structure with four wings, and an internal courtyard with a well-tended garden and well dating back to 1717. The interior of the church is rich. In the apse is a luxurious illusionist “Assumption of Mary” fresco, painted by F. Jelovšek in 1752 as the background to the main altar. In the side chapels there is a richly ornamented Baroque altar and altar painting by V. Metzinger from 1734-1735, and it is further complemented by the Baroque pulpit. The monastery also has a wealthy collection of Baroque paintings and church relics, as well as a very valuable library with books from the 16th till 19th ct. The Franciscan monastery and the church are a significant Baroque structure from the first half of the 18th ct. In terms of architectural and aesthetic values, preservation, variety and the value of the original inventory, this is the most valuable cultural monument in Samobor.
The Monastery Library has many valuable works, including three incunabula (originals).
Langova 18, 10430 Samobor
Tel./Fax. ++ 385 1 3360 810
Mass served: Working days 5.30, 6.30, 17.00, 18.30 h, Sundays 6-13.30, 17 h
Franciscan Monastery and Parish Church of St. Leonard, Kotari
Situated below the settlement, not far from the road Sambor-Jastrebarsko. Legend says that somewhere around 1520-1530 Ban P. Erdödy built this small church at the place of an apparition, and the monastery was founded immediately thereafter in 1531. In the late 17th ct., a new monastery building was built of a rectangular shape, with a well in the center. The church was restored and added onto in 1733 when it became the parish church. The monastery school was founded in 1775, and the monastery closed down and abandoned in 1789. The parish continued to be run by the Diocese priests and, over time, the lack of use of the monastery led to the caving in of three of its wings. Only in 1964 were the parish and the remaining monastery wing returned to the Franciscans and priests saying mass from the Glagolitic (old Croatian) missal.
This exceptional complex of the former Franciscan church and monastery consists of the church and the remaining monastery wing. The monastery wing is a one-floor structure built in the shape of an L, connected to the church. On the eastern façade of the monastery is a wall painting of St. Francis, while above the entrance and above the arch of the arcade are the crests of the Erdödy family.
The church is a single nave structure with narrow square sanctuary and a bell tower west of the nave. The inventory within the church and the monastery is very valuable: the main altar of St. Leonard (1741), of great dimensions and rich ornamentation (with the sculptural group of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Jesus); the side altars of St. Francis and St. Anthony with the triumphal arch (1743) and two sculpture of each saint and painted walls on the side of the main altar; two side altars of the Mother of God and St. Joseph along the northern and southern walls of the nave (1746); the painted pulpit (1740s); the small organ (19th cent.); two confessionals with two paintings in wood on the interior (18th cent.); the antependium of the altar of the Immaculate from the 18th ct., and four oil paintings in the sacristy, painting of St. Gregory from the 17th ct.; painting of St. Anthony from Padova (1732) and others. The monastery also holds a very valuable library.
Kotari, 10430 Samobor
Tel. ++ 385 1 3381 518
Alfons Kupres, žpk
Holly mass: Sundays 8.30, 11 h.