Križ, another historical town and the centre of the Ivanic area, is situated in the Česma River Valley. The town is near to the Zagreb – Lipovac motorway, the Zagreb – Vinkovci railway line and the old road towards Čazma and Bjelovar. The southern part of the municipality includes the Žutica forest and its oil fields, while to the east is the Veliki Jantak forest, an important hunting ground. The Česma River, and its fish-stocked backwaters, is a haven for fishermen.

Today, the Križ municipality includes 16 settlements on 118 square kilometres, and has a population of about 8000. The economy is supported by the companies DIN Novoselec and Elektra Križ, with many new companies opening since Croatia’s independence, thanks to private initiatives.


Križ, which is also called Križ pod Obedom, is closely tied to the history of Ivanić-Grad and Kloštar Ivanić, while also preserving its own unique roots. As is often the case, Križ (English = cross) received its name after the most significant sacral structure here – the Church of the Raising of the Holy Cross. The town was first indirectly mentioned in 1334 on the list of parishes in the Zagreb Diocese. During the time of the Military Border in the 15th century, Križ became the seat of the rural municipality. With the abolishment of the Military Border, the status of Križ was also changed, and in 1873, it became a county town.

Križ is situated on the hill and surrounds the church consecrated to the Raising of the Holy Cross. This single nave, spacious Baroque structure is the best preserved medieval structure in the region and is a monument of the highest category. The two side altars, consecrated to St. Rocco and St. Anthony of Padua, dating back to 1761, are of particular value. The main altar of the old parish church was burned in a fire in 1714, and so a new, richly ornamented altar with many wooden sculptures was installed in 1720. This is one of the best examples of altar artistry in all of northern Croatia. The gold artefacts from the 18th and 19th century are also very valuable. The church is surrounded by a park created in 1894 according to the rules of English park architecture.

Already in the 12th century, a church school operated in Križ. In 1790, the municipal primary school was opened and the first school building erected in 1860. In 1884, the first public reading room and library opened. It is worthwhile viewing the original rural wooden architecture and the memorial room of the great opera diva Milka Trnina in the Josip Badalić Monument House in the village of Vezišće. The archaeological site of Sipćine near Okešinec testifies to the early inhabitation of this region.

Skip to content